Prince of Kaga Collection, Kanazawa, Japan 
Yamanaka & Company, New York to 1897 
From 1897 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Yamanaka & Company in 1897 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 This is one of ten tea bowls (F1897.81 - F1897.90) acquired as a group from the former collection of the "Prince of Kaga." presumably the last head of the Maeda house, the daimyo family that had served as feudal lords of Kaga Province (now part of Ishikawa prefecture, centering around the castle town of Kanazawa) since the beginning of the 17th century (see Curatorial Remark 4, Louise Cort, 1982, in the object record, as well as F1897.89a-c, Curatorial Remark 10, Louise Cort, September 1982).
 Undated folder sheet note. See Original Pottery List, L. 688, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 2.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.